The League can
take action in support or opposition to a proposal when the study of a
governmental issue has been completed and members have reached agreement
on the topic.
the Annual Meeting on May 11, 2019, Local League members adopted Local Program. Nine program
items are Advocacy and/or Education initiatives with special emphasis during 2018- 2019.
Education Campaign on Gun Safety
Focus of work:
and Distribution of fliers on gun safety;
on Locked Cars containing firearms;
Ban on Assault Weapons Now (BAWN)
- Gun Safety Study Committee reports here. (Sept - Oct 2018)
- The Saga of Santa Rosa Island or "Who Owns Your Beach?" Dan Brown, Superintendent of Gulf Islands National Seashore. PowerPointhere.
- School to Prison Pipeline Series videos here.
- Gun Safety - White paper by attorney Randle Carpenter here.
- Education - League Concluded the School Choice Study. In 2012-13, the League initiated a study to better understand the oversight of public moneys that are allocated to charter schools and other private educational institutions. The League recognizes first and foremost it is a paramount duty of the state to provide for education and that charter schools, while privately owned and managed, are under contract to public school districts, funded by the public and must be accountable to the public. The League does not support direct or indirect tax credit funding for private schools. Click here to view the League's final statewide report on school choice!
- Report: Documentary - "Backpack of Cash" 9/24/2018 here
- League submits comments to IRS regarding Proposed Guidance for Tax-Exempt Social Welfare Organizations on Candidate-Related Political Activities. 2/19/2014
position approved June 2012. (Background
the role of the federal govenment in public education (preK through
grade 12). (Background
position March 2012)
- Study the expansion of local rehabilitation programs.
* League Position on Health Care [Read